02 Jul A Salad and A Cocktail
by Alex Thomopoulos
OVEN ROASTED VEGETABLE SALAD WITH BALSAMIC DRESSING
1 small eggplant
2 teaspoons salt
1 lb baby tomatoes
1 small red pepper, de-seeded and cut into strips
1 small yellow pepper, de-seeded and cut into strips
1 medium chopped onion,halved and sliced thin
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 handful fresh basil
3 tablespoons olive oil
Balsamic Vinaigrette1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
8-10 cups arugula
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Prepare the zucchini and eggplant 30 mins before you start. Cut them into 1 inch dice and sprinkle with salt. Place in a colander and allow excess water to drain out.
1. While the veggies are draining make vinaigrette. Add honey, Dijon, salt, balsamic and garlic into a blender. Turn blender on low and slowly add oil until it’s thick and creamy. You can do this by hand in a bowl with a whisk but using a blender is much easier.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. Arrange all the vegetables on a sheet tray, sprinkle with garlic, torn up basil leaves, pepper and a sprinkle of salt.
4. Drizzle the oil over, then mix thoroughly.
5. Roast for 30-40 minutes, mixing about half way to ensure even cooking.
6. Let cool. Toss arugula with some of the dressing. (Just enough to lightly coat). Top with the cooled roasted veggies and garnish with feta and olives and another good drizzle of dressing.
(makes 4 margaritas)
1-cup reposado tequila
2 cups grapefruit juice (fresh squeezed is obviously better)
1/4 cup mint leaves
¼ cup lime juice, reserve two lime rinds
2 TBSP honey
1 jalapeno (take seeds and ribs out if you like less spicy)
Put lime juice, two leftover rinds, honey, Serrano, and mint into a pitcher. Take a wooden spoon or muddler and muddle the ingredients together. Add tequila and grapefruit juice and stir to combine. Rim each glass with some lime juice, and dip into a mixture of salt and chili powder. Pour enough ice into glass and fill your glass up with the margarita!
About the author: The host of HUNGRY’s “Bites & Booze: Gluten Free” and “Gluten Free with Alex T”, Alex Thomopoulos is a stand-up comic turned chef. Alex is also is a guest co-host of Hallmark Channel’s Home and Family Show.
instagram: alexthomopoulos twitter: @alexthomopoulos facebook.com/alextcooks